BBC News - World BBC News - World
- Ukraine: US troops on high alert over stand-offon January 24, 2022 at 8:09 pm
Some 8,500 combat-ready US troops are on high alert to deploy at short notice, the Pentagon says.
- Burkina Faso military says it has seized poweron January 24, 2022 at 7:24 pm
President Kaboré has been overthrown and the government and parliament dissolved, the army says.
- Heidelberg shooting: One dead in gun attack on German studentson January 24, 2022 at 7:02 pm
A gunman in the university town of Heidelberg shoots four people, one fatally, before killing himself.
- Bob Dylan sells his master recordings to Sony Musicon January 24, 2022 at 5:51 pm
The deal covers the rights to all of Dylan's albums, as well as "multiple future new releases".
- Sarah Palin's positive Covid test delays New York Times defamation trialon January 24, 2022 at 4:59 pm
The former US vice-presidential candidate's lawsuit against The New York Times is delayed till February.
- Hundreds of children held by IS in besieged prison in Syriaon January 24, 2022 at 4:51 pm
Kurdish-led forces say they are being used as human shields in the jail they have surrounded in Syria.
- In pictures: Thierry Mugler's life and workson January 24, 2022 at 4:11 pm
Latex, leather and curves - Mugler reinvented the catwalk with his iconic creations
- Pakistan's first female Supreme Court judge sworn inon January 24, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Ayesha Malik now sits on a bench with 16 other male colleagues in the country's top court.
- Stowaway found in South Africa plane wheel is 22-year-old Kenyanon January 24, 2022 at 2:26 pm
A man found alive in the wheel section of a plane that landed in Amsterdam from South Africa is identified.
- Ireland tells Russia live-fire naval exercise is 'not welcome'on January 24, 2022 at 2:15 pm
Ireland's defence minister says Russian tests off the coast are unwanted, but cannot be stopped.
- Tonga volcano: Eruption more powerful than atomic bomb, Nasa sayson January 24, 2022 at 11:53 am
The eruption earlier this month showered the Pacific nation in ash and triggered a tsunami.
- Australian Open: Navratilova blasts Peng Shuai T-shirt banon January 24, 2022 at 6:30 am
Australian Open organisers asked a spectator to remove a T-shirt mentioning the Chinese player.
- Vaccine mandates: 'I lost my job for being unvaccinated'on January 24, 2022 at 12:43 am
Covid-19 vaccine mandates face stiff resistance in the US, where they are clashing with national ideals of personal freedom.
- German Covid protests turn nasty in row over rules and vaccinationson January 24, 2022 at 12:35 am
Tens of thousands of Germans take to the streets every week and politicians are being targeted.
- Beijing 2022 vs 2008: Two Olympics and two very different Chinason January 24, 2022 at 12:32 am
In 2022, the mood, the host government's attitude, and global expectations are all very different to 2008.
- The people deciding to ditch their smartphoneson January 24, 2022 at 12:27 am
The smartphone users who are ditching their handsets to take back more control of their lives.
- Srikanth Bolla: The blind CEO’s £48m company which nearly didn’t happenon January 24, 2022 at 12:20 am
As a teenager, blind businessman Srikanth Bolla sued an Indian state to study maths and science.
- How will Tonga's broken internet cable be mended?on January 24, 2022 at 12:13 am
What does its breakage tell us about the problems of getting coverage to remote areas?
- Sex trafficking: Children groomed in Romania sent to UKon January 24, 2022 at 12:02 am
BBC correspondent Jean Mackenzie finds children as young as 10 are being groomed in Romania, to be trafficked to the UK.
- Mercedes Gleitze: Film celebrates first British woman to swim English Channelon January 24, 2022 at 12:00 am
Mercedes Gleitze was the first British woman to swim the English Channel, but kept her accomplishments hidden from her family.