Canadian News – Get the latest local news from Canadian Newspapers. See breaking news and top stories. Get the latest local news from Daily Newspapers in Canada.
List of Canadian News Providers
Here is a list of popular, well-known Daily Canadian Newspapers currently in circulation.
Globe and Mail
Globe And Mail
The Globe and Mail, founded in 1844, is Canada’s foremost news media company and a part of Canada’s fabric. We cover events that have changed our nation as well as the day-to-day happenings that continue to shape us as a country.
Visit Globe and Mail
The Ottawa Citizen is an English-language daily newspaper owned by Postmedia Network in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Le Journal de Montréal
Le Journal de Montréal
Visit Le Journal de Montréal
Winnipeg Free Press
Winnipeg Free Press
Visit Winnipeg Free Press
Visit Ottawa Citizen
Visit Chronicle Herald
Visit Le Soleil
Visit Edmonton Sun
Visit Calgary Sun
Visit National Observer
Breaking news and local headlines from Calgary, Alberta
Edmonton Journal Edmonton Latest News, Breaking Headlines & Sports
- David Staples: How will we get it right in public health care when we fixate on the wrong question?by David Staples, Edmonton Journal on February 8, 2023 at 1:00 pm
The physical health of Canadians, individually and collectively, is declining. That's the major worry
- Opinion: Level the playing field between communities and developersby Bill Mah, Edmonton Journal on February 8, 2023 at 12:00 pm
As volunteers and a transportation expert with experience advocating on behalf of our communities in Edmonton, we have serious concerns about the city’s development process. Our op-ed highlights the common problems we have found in the process and offer solutions that allow for a transparent, ethical, and accountable process in the future. The […]
- Alberta Ballet pushes boundaries with two acts from New York choreographersby Jenny Feniak on February 8, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Love Rocks, set to the music of Lenny Kravitz, and the rap-heavy WOKE arrive at the Jubilee this weekend from arguably the most diverse and inclusive dance companies in the world
- Wednesday's letters: Don't need affordability cash? Pay it forwardby Edmonton Journal on February 8, 2023 at 12:00 pm
As an octogenarian with an income considerably less than the maximum earnings of $180,000 needed to qualify for the $600 payment, I am eligible to participate in the “affordability program” offered by the UCP government. I suspect many eligible Albertans actually need this money, although doubtless many others, even more affected by recent […]
- Player grades: Foot soldiers win the day as Oilers outlast Red Wingsby Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey on February 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Oilers 5, Red Wings 2 It was a bit of a strange win for the Edmonton Oilers in Detroit on Tuesday, but a win it was. The Oilers’ power line seemed unplugged, especially in the defensive zone where the club’s 2 major stars still seemed stuck in “All-Star” mode. On this night it was the
- Former Grande Prairie AHS official convicted of sexually abusing childby Jonny Wakefield on February 8, 2023 at 12:45 am
Leonard said she found the testimony of the complainant, who was 11 when he took the stand at last month's trial, was more credible than that of de Villiers
- AHS says shuffling a 911 call for 92-year-old woman to 811 was appropriate, despite complaintsby Lisa Johnson on February 8, 2023 at 12:22 am
NDP seniors critic Lori Sigurdson said the situation shows that transition has been "badly managed" and has put patients at risk
- Mayor says stricter bear spray rules in Edmonton make sense, lawyer disagreesby Lauren Boothby on February 8, 2023 at 12:20 am
EPS acting Sgt. Andrew Furman started noticing bear spray being used more frequently in the LRT system while working on this beat in 2017
- Smith says Trudeau's health care funding offer falls short, touting Alberta's work on fileby Lisa Johnson on February 7, 2023 at 11:50 pm
"The world needs Alberta's know-how, Alberta's energy, and Albertan solutions for the coming years," Trudeau says
- Strathcona County toddler rescued from sexual abuse, mother charged: ALERTby Hamdi Issawi on February 7, 2023 at 11:43 pm
A tip from the FBI received less than 48 hours earlier, detailed alleged prolific and ongoing sexual abuse of a young child in Alberta
See more …
See more …
Regina Leader-Post Regina Latest News, Breaking Headlines & Sports
- Roughriders generate much-needed buzz during free-agent windowby Murray McCormick on February 8, 2023 at 1:42 pm
Apparently the Roughriders have been busy during the CFL's free-agent window in advance of the period kicking off on Feb. 14.
- Murray Mandryk: Tossing more money at public health care is not reformby Murray Mandryk on February 8, 2023 at 12:06 pm
Canada's health care is broken, but it's nothing that can't be fixed though financing reform and rethinking the role of private insurance.
- Victim advocate Rod McKendrick 'humbled' to join Order of Canadaby Larissa Kurz on February 8, 2023 at 12:00 pm
"This isn't about me. It's about those I've worked with, to support victims, and who have tried to give a voice to some of those victims."
- Ethan Chadwick backstops Blades to shutout winby Regina Leader-Post on February 8, 2023 at 6:28 am
Ethan Chadwick recorded 21 saves for the shutout as the Saskatoon Blades defeated the visiting Edmonton Oil Kings 4-0 in WHL action Tuesday.
- Larry Dean re-signs with Roughridersby Murray McCormick on February 8, 2023 at 2:14 am
Two of the Riders' three starting linebackers from 2022 are under contract for the 2023 CFL season.
- COVID-19 outbreak at Sask. women's healing lodgeby Regina Leader-Post on February 7, 2023 at 11:40 pm
Four inmates tested positive for the virus, but the Correctional Service says the numbers could change as more testing is conducted and lab results become available.
- Girl, 12, missing from Edenwold area since mid-Decemberby Regina Leader-Post on February 7, 2023 at 11:16 pm
According to White Butte RCMP, Lila Dustyhorn was last seen on a service road in Edenwold around 11:30 p.m. on Dec. 17, 2022.
- Naaman Roosevelt returns to Riders as offensive assistantby Murray McCormick on February 7, 2023 at 9:26 pm
The Riders have settled on their coaching and football operations staff for the 2023 CFL season.
- Motions of removal, procurement policy and annexation set for Regina city councilby Alec Salloum on February 7, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Regina's city council will have lots to consider during its Wednesday meeting as land annexation and new policies are up for discussion
- RCMP investigating fatal semi collision near Indian Headby Regina Leader-Post on February 7, 2023 at 7:36 pm
The collision between two semis left one woman dead and sent another man to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries
See more …
National Post Canadian News, World News and Breaking Headlines
- Kim Jong Un gives clearest sign daughter is heir apparent with seat at centre of military photosby Washington Post on February 8, 2023 at 2:39 pm
SEOUL – North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has given the clearest signal yet that he is positioning his middle-school-aged daughter as his successor, analysts say, after a raft of official photos showed the girl holding center stage in a banquet hall full of military top brass. The photos, released by the state Korean Central
- Michael Higgins: Catholic school has student arrested for expressing Catholic beliefsby Michael Higgins on February 8, 2023 at 2:37 pm
Student: 'I said there were only two genders and you were born either a male or a female and that got me into trouble'
- Zelenskiy, in London, wins pledge to train pilots on NATO jetsby Reuters on February 8, 2023 at 2:30 pm
KYIV/LONDON — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy visited Britain on Wednesday to drum up aid, winning a pledge to train Ukrainian pilots on advanced NATO fighter jets, a big symbolic step up in Western military support against Russia’s invasion. On just his second trip abroad since Russian forces swept into Ukraine on Feb. 24 last year,
- Rwandan driver fined after guilty plea for reporter’s deathby The Associated Press on February 8, 2023 at 2:29 pm
KIGALI, Rwanda (AP) — A driver whose car hit and killed a Rwandan investigative journalist has pled guilty and has been fined by a court. Moise Emmanuel Bagirishya was fined $920 for involuntary manslaughter, three weeks after the crash which killed John William Ntwali. Ntwali was riding as a passenger on a motorbike when the
- Olympics-Svitolina hopes Ukraine will not have to boycott Paris Gamesby Reuters on February 8, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina said on Wednesday she hoped her country would not have to follow through on its threat to boycott the 2024 Olympics over the participation of Russians and Belarusians as neutrals. Russians have competed as neutrals in the past three Olympics as punishment for state-backed doping, but Ukraine hopes to secure
- 8 Croatians in Zambia face new charges of child traffickingby The Associated Press on February 8, 2023 at 2:17 pm
LUSAKA, Zambia (AP) — Eight Croatians rearrested in Zambia will face new charges of child trafficking and are expected to appear in court on Thursday, a Zambian official announced. Earlier this week a court dropped child trafficking charges against the eight — four couples — and ordered them to leave the country within 48 hours.
- Lawsuits pile up as U.S. parents take on social media giantsby Reuters on February 8, 2023 at 2:16 pm
* As concern grows over social media, U.S. lawsuits stack up * Surge in mental health problems worst among girls * Lawyers zone in on algorithm designs, whistleblower leaks * Others see platforms as scapegoat for society’s woes By Avi Asher-Schapiro LOS ANGELES, Feb 8 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – At about the time her daughter
- Belarus hands 8-year term to journalist for top Polish paperby The Associated Press on February 8, 2023 at 2:14 pm
TALLINN, Estonia (AP) — A Belarusian court on Wednesday sentenced a journalist and prominent member of the country’s sizable Polish minority to eight years in prison, amid an ongoing crackdown on critics of authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko’s regime. Andrzej Poczobut, 49, was found guilty of harming Belarus’ national security […]
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ordered to sit for deposition in defamation caseby National Post Wire Services on February 8, 2023 at 2:11 pm
Meghan Markle's half-sister Samantha Markle is seeking damages over the 'malicious lies' she alleged were told about her during an interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2020
- North Korea stages nighttime military parade to mark army anniversary -Yonhapby Reuters on February 8, 2023 at 2:04 pm
SEOUL — North Korea held a widely anticipated nighttime military parade on Wednesday, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency reported, an event expected to showcase the country’s latest weapons to mark the founding anniversary of its army. Commercial satellite imagery has for months shown North Korean troops practicing for a major parade, […]
See more …
TORONTO STAR | NEWS
- Zelenskyy addresses U.K. lawmakers in rare trip outside Ukraineby Jill Lawless - The Associated Press on February 8, 2023 at 1:52 pm
The Ukranian president called for stronger sanctions against Moscow, until “Russia is deprived of any possibility to finance this war.”
- Toronto to be hit with heavy rain and strong winds Thursdayby Ana Pereira - Staff Reporter,Edward Djan - Staff Reporter on February 8, 2023 at 1:12 pm
According to a special weather statement, Environment Canada is forecasting 15 to 25 millimetres of rain and wind gusts of 70 to 90 km/h.
- Belgian police seize $1.6 million in sex trafficking probeby The Associated Press on February 8, 2023 at 1:07 pm
- Brittney Griner absent from USA camp, but keeping in touchby Doug Feinberg - The Associated Press on February 8, 2023 at 1:03 pm
Brittney Griner texted her good friend Diana Taurasi on Tuesday morning asking how the USA Basketball training camp was going.
- Pedestrian seriously injured after hit-and-run in Etobicokeby Ana Pereira - Staff Reporter on February 8, 2023 at 12:54 pm
The driver fled the scene but was later found by police.
- Turkey, Syria quake is deadliest in decadeby The Associated Press on February 8, 2023 at 12:38 pm
The catastrophic earthquake that razed thousands of buildings in Turkey and Syria became one of the deadliest quakes worldwide in more than a decade Wednesday and the death toll kept rising, surpassing 11,000.
- Federal government’s health care deal + Turkey and Syria earthquake is the worst in a decadeby Manuela Vega - Toronto Star on February 8, 2023 at 12:30 pm
The federal government’s health care deal, the earthquake in Turkey and Syria and a Toronto lawyer who admitted to misleading advertising.
- The unspoken message of Joe Biden’s State of the Union speech was hard to missby Allan Woods - Staff Reporter on February 8, 2023 at 11:37 am
- Indonesian security forces search for NZ pilot taken hostageby Alfian Kartono And Niniek Karmini - The Associated Press on February 8, 2023 at 11:00 am
- Sweden: Anti-Turkish protests have increased attack threatby The Associated Press on February 8, 2023 at 10:52 am
The Swedish domestic security agency warned Wednesday that the threat of attacks in the Scandinavian country has increased in the weeks since a far-right activist burned a Quran outside the Turkish Embassy in Stockholm.
See more …
Toronto Sun Toronto News | Latest Headlines & Breaking News
- Wrestling legend Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler hospitalized after reported strokeby Eddie Chau on February 8, 2023 at 2:35 pm
Long-time broadcasting partner Jim Ross noted he "needs our thoughts and prayers."
- ‘The Late Late Show’ to be replaced by reboot of ‘@midnight’by Bang Showbiz on February 8, 2023 at 2:32 pm
Stephen Colbert will serve as executive producer, alongside reps from Funny or Die, according to report
- Jeffrey Epstein’s banks seek to end accusers’ lawsuitsby Reuters on February 8, 2023 at 2:11 pm
Epstein was client of JPMorgan from about 2000 to 2013, and of Deutsche Bank from 2013 to 2018
- New British stamp with image of King Charles unveiledby Reuters on February 8, 2023 at 2:07 pm
The new "definitive" stamp uses an adapted version of a portrait also appearing on new coinage
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez to star in Super Bowl commercialby Bang Showbiz on February 8, 2023 at 1:53 pm
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez are set to star in a Super Bowl commercial. The 50-year-old actor and Lopez, 53, are teaming up for a Super Bowl commercial for the Dunkin’ Donuts brand. “The commercial is funny and cute,” an insider told Entertainment Tonight. “It shows Ben working at Dunkin’ in his free time because
- WARMINGTON: LeBron set the record but best shot of night came from Drakeby Joe Warmington on February 8, 2023 at 1:50 pm
The rapper appeared in a video message congratulating his Laker pal
- HIGH INFLATION: How much Canadians have fallen behind and who’s hurting mostby Canadian Press on February 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
OTTAWA — Inflation has eroded purchasing power for many Canadians, but the experience with rapidly rising prices has been far from uniform. While the inflation rate shows how quickly prices are rising, other factors like income and consumption patterns can make it harder or easier for people to cope. Here’s a look at how high
- Meghan and Prince Harry ordered to sit for deposition in sister’s defamation caseby Bang Showbiz on February 8, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Samantha Markle is seeking damages over the "malicious lies" she alleged were told about her during the Oprah interview
- CHARLEBOIS: Canada needs discount grocery stores — real onesby Cynthia McLeod on February 8, 2023 at 1:11 pm
Grocers have gotten comfortable, perhaps too comfortable.
- LILLEY: Biden threatens Canadian jobs again with his Buy American protectionist promisesby Brian Lilley on February 8, 2023 at 12:44 pm
It’s time for Trudeau and his team to wake up from their sleepy attitude to Biden
See more …
Trending news in Canada
- Johnson & Johnson To Stop Selling Talc Baby Powder in US and Canada - Johnson & Johnson on Tuesday announced that it would stop selling its talc-based Johnson's Baby Powder in the United States and Canada, saying it was part of a broad reassessment of its consumer product portfolio prompted by the coronavirus pandemic. Johnson & Johnson is an American multinational…
- Ontario Schools Closed For Rest of School Year - The Ontario Provincial Government has decided that Ontario schools will not reopen in June and will remain closed until September due to the COVID-19 pandemics. Online learning will continue for the rest of the 2019-2020 school year and in-person classes…
- Snowbird Crash - 1 dead and 1 injured after Canadian Forces Snowbirds jet crashes in Kamloops B.C. Sunday's crash occurred the same day the Snowbirds were scheduled to complete a flyover of the Okanagan as part of Operation Inspiration, a salute to Canadians…
- The Asian Murder Hornet Reaches N. America - Researchers in Washington State are on lookout for the invasive Asian murder hornet after the insect made its first appearance in the US. Washington state verified reports of the Asian giant hornet in two western cities. The Asian giant hornet…
- Drake Announces New Mixtape – Dark Lane Demo Tapes - Canadian Rapper Drake has revealed through his instagram that he has a new mixtape out. Titled "Dark Lane Demo Tapes", the project is made up of "the songs people have been asking for" and will include "some leaks and some…
- What is Remdesivir? - Remdesivir - the experimental drug that FDA plans to authorize use on emergency cases for coronavirus. Remdesivir is an antiviral medication originally developed to treat Ebola virus. It is nucleotide analog, an adenosine analogue, which inserts into RNA chains destroying…